Thursday, January 21, 2016

Mr. Fantastico

This is the true story of my first crush. I call him Mr. Fantastico.

You can never forgets the firsts. The first car, first home, first date, first love, the first crush, they are forever etched in your memory and serve as a rating scale with respect to which you gauge all the ones that may follow. It is coveted title and sometimes destiny picks them for us.

My first crush was Mr. Fantastico. He was my classmate in school and a friend too. I remember the first time we met. It was the first day of school in 9th grade. He was the first person I saw in class. He sat there reading Three Musketeers.  As I entered, he looked up from his book, saw me and gave me his fantastico smile. I could just manage a light smile and he went back to his book. Hence, began my crush. I was too shy to tell him and too embarrassed to tell my friends. Nobody, till today, knows about this.

Over time, we began talking. His roll number was one ahead of mine so I sat behind him during exams. He was a little weak in mathematics and I was happy to help him. We discovered that we like the same movies. World Cinema was our common ground along with books and music. He used to study French and I asked him what about the various movies he had seen of the language. Our favorites then were Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, The Pianist, and Lemony Snicket: The Series of Unfortunate incidents etc. We also like the same books. We talked usually in the mornings and during exam times.

Time went on, and we became good friends.  He used to tease me for me about things in a friendly way. In 11th , we took the same subjects and again in the same class. This time we spent a bit more time together as we had three labs together. I remember talking to him for two hours straight during our chemistry lab class. Ah Chemistry!

But all was not rosy.  My best friend, whom I sat with in class, was much prettier than me and I doubted if I’m just a medium to get to her. It was very confusing at times to figure out who he liked. She didn’t like him but I thought he liked her. I wished I could read minds. The thought of asking him out and then finding it was her he wanted all along, discouraged me to do so.

Fast Forward to boards in 12th . I took it upon myself that on the last day of exams, which would be the last day we meet as classmates, I would scourge up all the courage I could and ask him out. The last exam was of computer science. I was less worried of the exam and more worried about the “asking out”. I met him before the exam and he asked me a few things. All that time my heart was beating so fast, I think people around me could hear it. I decided to implement my plan after the exam was over.

So, there I was writing my exam and in between looking at him(well, all I saw was his back but….yeah, you get the drift) . After, the exam was over, all my classmates were smiling with relief but here I was searching for him. I couldn’t find him anywhere.

Mr. Fantastico was gone. I took that as a sign of nature and buried my feelings. I met him later but now our conversations were just polite greetings.

However, he will always be my first crush.

This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment